What Should I do if I am Involved in a Hit and Run?

Posted on: May 30, 2020
Hit and Run / Leaving the Scene / Beers and Gordon P.A. / Car AccidentAccording to the most recent data from the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, approximately 25 percent of all car crashes in Florida involve some kind of hit and run. The state has pushed a number of “Stay at the Scene” campaigns to help minimize and resolve this problem, but the data still suggests that it would be easy to find ourselves caught in an accident that involved a hit and run. So what should you do if you are involved in a hit and run?

If you are injured in an accident with a hit and run driver, you will need to contact your insurance company immediately. Ask your insurance carrier if you carry collision and uninsured motorist coverage. If you do carry collision coverage under your insurance policy, your insurance company will pay to have your vehicle repaired. And if the accident resulted in bodily injury, you can file an uninsured motorist claim for your personal injuries and any pain and suffering. However, if you do not carry uninsured motorist coverage you may not receive proper compensation for your injuries. Our office strongly recommends you contact your insurance carrier to ensure you already carry or have purchased uninsured motorist coverage.

Roughly 1 in 500 hit and run accidents resulted in a fatality between 2015 and 2019, but a good deal of those, slightly above 80%, occurred “during dawn, dusk, or nighttime conditions.”

If you or someone you love has been the victim of a wrongful death, a personal injury, or a motor vehicle accident, please contact the law offices of Beers and Gordon P.A. for a free consultation. Our firm serves all of Seminole, OrangeVolusia, Lake, and Brevard counties, including Oviedo, Winter Springs, Altamonte Springs, Sanford, Longwood, Winter Park, Lake Mary, and Greater Orlando. Our attorneys have over 50 years of combined experience ready and willing to go the distance on your case. Call us right away at 407-862-1825.


Our firm is open and continuing to serve

the needs of every new and existing client.